Tag Archives: Kona Papaya


Ya know how I said I was going to start early in the week for this week's challenge? Nope. Here's my Saturday quilt, finished in the wee early hours of Sunday morning.

I taught the first half of my All About Angles workshop on Tuesday. I can't teach a workshop without being inspired by my students to create another version on one of my techniques. I don't always have time to carry that out, but this week's Project QUILTING challenge was the perfect opportunity. This week's theme is Virtual Vacation. We were asked to make a project that was somehow inspired by vacation.

On my very first weekend away with my husband we went to Monterey for the weekend to celebrate my 30th birthday (thirteen years ago!). We stayed in a lovely B&B, visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and walked around Pacific Grove. This included a stop at Back Porch Fabrics where I purchased this fat quarter of fish fabric. I intended to make a mini quilt as a memento of the weekend. This challenge was the perfect opportunity to finally use the fabric, but I opted for a table runner. I cut the fat quarter in half. This determined the width of the runner. Then I pieced eight All About Angles units (one didn't make the cut) in coordinating Kona solids. They weren't all labeled, but this included Kona Papaya, Parrot, and Breakers.

The quilt is bound with a pillowcase finish and free motion quilted in 50wt Aurifil Jade (#4093). I echoed the piecing in the All About Angles panels and quilted seaweed among the fish. The runner finished at approximately 10" x 56", the perfect size for my kitchen island.

For those of you who have seen my PQ 12.1 and PQ 12.2 projects you may remember that I was using a modern traditional design for each challenge. I had to make the choice to skip modern traditional this time, because I couldn't get excited about a way to feature the large print fish and maintain a modern traditional design in a 16" mini. I hope to be back to modern traditional designs for the last three challenges this season.

Thanks for visiting! Be sure to hop over and see the many vacation quilts linked up on Kim's blog for the Virtual Vacation challenge.


We are eleven weeks into the Quilting the Countdown 100 day project. There are 22 days left until QuiltCon. I'm spending at least 15 minutes a day working on my Patchwork City blocks.

I finished three blocks this week. This brought me to 60 out of 75 blocks complete. These finished blocks are Kona Jade Green, Kona Papaya, and Kona Wasabi. My progress this week includes bits of three more blocks as well.

I like to work on pieces from multiple blocks all at once.

For this Papaya block I used the cutting templates as foundation paper piecing templates. While I've done many of the blocks with the templates, some of the piecing is very fiddly and FPP allows for better precision for me.

The quarter rectangle units in this block can also be fiddly to piece. I chose to cut my pieces oversized (in the outer direction) and after piecing the four fabrics together I trim to size. I love that this little 8" block has 13 different fabrics. There's so much to look at.

22 days and 15 blocks left! Thanks for visiting.


We are seven weeks into the Quilting the Countdown 100 day project. There are 50 days left until QuiltCon. I'm spending at least 15 minutes a day working on my Patchwork City blocks.

I finished two blocks this week. This brought me to 52 out of 75 blocks complete. (I think I'm on track to finish all the blocks by the end of the 100 Day Project.) The finished blocks shown feature Kona Tomato.

This is the only black and white print that I'm using that includes another color. I'm afraid I'll regret it, but I'm going for it.

I started by cutting out all my pieces for there three Tomato blocks, one on each fast food tray.

My first finished block this week, and bits of another block. I often work on multiple blocks (or multiple projects) at the same time. More chain piecing and fewer trips to the ironing board.

Second finished Tomato block.

Cutting the fussy template pieces (including making the butcher paper templates) takes some time.

And some nights I don't feel like sewing, so I start choosing fabrics for the next sets of blocks. Kona Papaya and Kona Wasabi are in the queue.

Last night I realized that I wasn't pleased with the blender fabrics from my block of the month for the Wasabi blocks (first photo above). I was surprised to find multiple viable options in my stash. I think I'll use the bottom three in the second photo since the top fabric I pulled is a little too dark.

So I may be working on three different colors this week, to finish the last Tomato block and dive into some of the Papaya and Wasabi blocks. And then I have that one block I've had cut out for seven weeks that I've been avoiding. Maybe I'll work on that one too.

I'm participating in Cheryl's 31-Day Blog Writing Challenge.

Thanks for visiting!