Tag Archives: fish


It's a little finish, but it's a finish!

This was my primary August goal. In order to prepare for finishing The Girl's cuddle quilt, I wanted to learn how to do turned edge machine applique. Lorna pointed me to this great tutorial at Moda Bake Shop.

Last night was my guild meeting, so that provided the motivation necessary to finish this little project up before the meeting. It's a 6" by 8.5" mug rug. Not familiar with mug rugs? Think large coaster or small placemat. I think we'll be using it as a snack mat for the kids. If I make another one for our house I could use the pair as a place for the kids to each keep their water cup for the day. It amazes me how many cups the kids each go through each day. ;-)

I got halfway into quilting the fish and decided I wasn't sure where I was going. I wanted to do a pattern that showed scales, but I wasn't sure how realistic I was going for in my details.

Back to the sketchpad and I decided on something like this:

I'm not 100% happy with it as a whole, but the goal of this project was to learn a new skill and I did do that, as well as got to do a little free motion quilting. Overall, I'm calling it a success. And I'm fired up about working on The Girl's quilt. It'll have many more pieces, so I'm thinking it'll continue to be a slow-progress kind of quilt, but at least I know what I'm doing now.

This quilt, named Goldfish (yep, no help from The Husband on this one) measures 6" by 8.5". All the fabrics came from my stash and the binding was leftover from The Purple Quilt.

I forgot to add the quilt label before I quilted the fish, so it got squeezed into the corner. It's fine, but suboptimal in my opinion.

Here are a couple close up shots of my quilting. I'm quite pleased with this part.
And my helpers:

Linking up to the A Lovely Year of Finishes August Finishes Party and Sew Cute Tuesday.

I'm linking up to Finish Along Quarter 3 Finish Party. Here is my full list of Q3 Finish Along Goals.


The last week has been a little crazy with all the blog traffic from The Secret Treasure Room post going viral. I'm amazed at how many people have seen my project and that it's been translated into at least four other languages. Welcome to all my new blog followers! It's been a pretty productive sewing week. Unfortunately, I can't show you what I've made the most progress on since it's a challenge quilt I'll be submitting by the end of the month.

I did make some other progress that I can show you. This philanthropy quilt for my guild (pieced by another member) has been prepped and pinned to quilt. If I can get the quilting and binding done by this weekend I can drop it off during Monday night's meeting.

I also started real work on my A Lovely Year of Finishes August goal. I've attached the two appliqued pieces to my mug rug and it's ready to quilt. This was my first attempt at turned edge machine applique and I'm pretty happy with the process and the result. Not sure if I'll knock out a few more mug rugs for practice or jump into using this new technique on The Girl's cuddle quilt that's waiting for some sea life.

I'm linking up to Linky Tuesday, Fabric Tuesday, Let's Bee Social and WIP Wednesday.